Old 10-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Am I wasting My time?

I answered this offlist, not realizing it was an on-list question.

Is it worthwhile bothering to take the tropicals out on warm
days (and bringing them back in late in the afternoon) long before one

would set them
out for the summer? Or is it a waste of time in terms of extending the
growing season and health benefits to the tree?

My answer isn't based on any plant pathology, just based on my
experience with indoor bonsai. My true tropicals do very well
indoors in a sunny spot, and don't get any benefit from being put
outdoors early in spring. Instead, they run the risk of getting
sun-scorched or frozen (if I forget them, as I frequently do). So I
see no benefit in doing the "bonsai two-step", moving them in and out.

My half-hardy plants, however, the ones I need to overwinter indoors,
but which ideally should have overwintered outdoors if I were a few
USDA zones warmer, do very poorly indoors, and the sooner I get them
outside, the better, even if I have to move them in and out for a
while. These include plants such as rosemary, camellia, gardenia,
chinese elm, and so on.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD