Old 01-11-2008, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Lavoire in Garden

"Janet Conroy" wrote in message

Judith in France;821021 Wrote:
This is on topic!!!! :-) This is in my friend's Judy's garden who
lives 20 minutes
from me. Judy is a well known artist and also sculpts. The lavoire
was where women washed their clothes in the "old days". To show scale
I have stood on the mount, note the stones jutting out below my legs
where one climbed up, please excuse my bum! The mermaid is almost
finished, and I have posted a pic of that also, all with my friend's
permission, hope you enjoy them.

http://i34.tinypic.com/21b5dow.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/27xe2va.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2mwcfud.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2ngc5cp.jpg

Judith

What an amazing thing.
I've seen loads of old public wash houses in France usually with a
faintly Romanesque feel - columns, tiled roof, etc , but never one with
an arch into a hillside on private land.

'Public Washhouse' or 'Doing your washing in public'

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-RG8ML6K...%20-Other.html

Mike