Old 01-11-2008, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider Spider is offline

Default Jasminum Nudiflorum in container4?

"Vacutone" wrote in message
s.com...
On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:00:22 +0000, Spider wrote
(in message ):

My suggestion would be Euonymous fortunei 'Silver Queen'. This is a
stunning Euonymous all year round (with green/cream variegation), but
especially in winter when it seems to glow in any gloomy corner, often
taking on a pink tinge in colder weather. It should not be confused with
the lower growing types. E.fort. 'Silver Queen' can make about 4' in
height
left to its own devices but, when grown up a trellis, can easily make 6'
(2m). It is not usually associated with drought conditions, but mine
grows
at the top of a steep bank under a row of forest trees *and* just in
front
of a Pyracantha hedge, so I think it might fit the bill! Very
occasionally,
there is a tiny bit of reversion in mine - both to plain green leaves and
plain cream leaves. The cream leaves don't threaten the plant, and the
all-green leaves are rare, so it's not a big job to snip them out.

Spider

I just ordered two of these, they do sound good.

How fast do they grow- or rather, how big will they grow in one and two
years?
I have had both the Emerald Gaiety and Green and Gold Euonymus for most of
the year- both appear to have not grown at all, so this is a concern!

--
Vacutone

Sorry to be late coming back - 3 days in bed with chesty cold:~(

Charlie is right; they are probably a bit slow to get going. However, do
bear in mind that your more dwarf forms will necessarily be slower growing,
and therefore not an ideal comparison. I suggest you buy a decent sized
plant to start with (they're not that expensive) and it will still be
attractive. It has the advantage that you can choose to attach the trellis
or wire frame to the wall in spring when the weather is more pleasant. At
the same time you can feed the plant so it can grow away as the weather
improves. In the meantime, consider growing some hyacinths in the same pot
(or area) so you can enjoy that scent you clearly hanker for.

To be quite honest, almost anything started off in winter against a north
wall is going to be slow to start. With this Euonymous, I think it's well
worth the wait.

Spider