Old 02-11-2008, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
D. Staples D. Staples is offline

Default Chestnut Oak seed

David E. Ross wrote:
On 11/2/2008 6:42 AM, Phisherman wrote:
I found a chestnut oak seed and put it in the refrigerator last month
to simulate winter (not sure if this is necessary for oak). What is
the best method of starting this seed? I want to plant the tree in
my yard where it gets full sun, but wondering if I could give it a
good head start on a sunny window sill in potting soil. TIA

My garden encyclopedia lists 34 species of oak with their common names.
"Chestnut oak" is not one of them. Did you find an acorn (oak seed) or
a chestnut?

If it's an acorn, see my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_oak_acorn.html, which tells how I
got a large oak tree from an acorn.

If you get snow in your area, then refrigerating the acorn is good. If
you are in a mild-winter climate, just plant it now.

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/DENDROL...heet.cfm?ID=76