Old 02-11-2008, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Chestnut Oak seed

I found a chestnut oak seed and put it in the refrigerator last month
to simulate winter (not sure if this is necessary for oak). What is
the best method of starting this seed? I want to plant the tree in
my yard where it gets full sun, but wondering if I could give it a
good head start on a sunny window sill in potting soil. TIA
Old 02-11-2008, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Phisherman wrote:
I found a chestnut oak seed and put it in the refrigerator last month
to simulate winter (not sure if this is necessary for oak). What is
the best method of starting this seed? I want to plant the tree in
my yard where it gets full sun, but wondering if I could give it a
good head start on a sunny window sill in potting soil. TIA

Sounds like your giving it the best shot. Float it in a glass of water,
if it sinks, its a good seed, if it floats, it is a "pop".
Old 02-11-2008, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article pplyinc,
"D. Staples" wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
I found a chestnut oak seed and put it in the refrigerator last month
to simulate winter (not sure if this is necessary for oak). What is
the best method of starting this seed? I want to plant the tree in
my yard where it gets full sun, but wondering if I could give it a
good head start on a sunny window sill in potting soil. TIA

Sounds like your giving it the best shot. Float it in a glass of water,
if it sinks, its a good seed, if it floats, it is a "pop".

I learn something new almost every day.

Thanks

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 02-11-2008, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/2/2008 6:42 AM, Phisherman wrote:
I found a chestnut oak seed and put it in the refrigerator last month
to simulate winter (not sure if this is necessary for oak). What is
the best method of starting this seed? I want to plant the tree in
my yard where it gets full sun, but wondering if I could give it a
good head start on a sunny window sill in potting soil. TIA

My garden encyclopedia lists 34 species of oak with their common names.
"Chestnut oak" is not one of them. Did you find an acorn (oak seed) or
a chestnut?

If it's an acorn, see my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_oak_acorn.html, which tells how I
got a large oak tree from an acorn.

If you get snow in your area, then refrigerating the acorn is good. If
you are in a mild-winter climate, just plant it now.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 02-11-2008, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/DENDROL...heet.cfm?ID=76

Old 03-11-2008, 12:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 09:46:33 -0800, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

On 11/2/2008 6:42 AM, Phisherman wrote:
I found a chestnut oak seed and put it in the refrigerator last month
to simulate winter (not sure if this is necessary for oak). What is
the best method of starting this seed? I want to plant the tree in
my yard where it gets full sun, but wondering if I could give it a
good head start on a sunny window sill in potting soil. TIA

My garden encyclopedia lists 34 species of oak with their common names.
"Chestnut oak" is not one of them. Did you find an acorn (oak seed) or
a chestnut?

The seed looks similar to a buckeye seed, nothing like an acorn. It
could be a chestnut tree, but most of these have been lost to blight.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 14:07:12 -0600, "D. Staples"
wrote:

David E. Ross wrote:
On 11/2/2008 6:42 AM, Phisherman wrote:
I found a chestnut oak seed and put it in the refrigerator last month
to simulate winter (not sure if this is necessary for oak). What is
the best method of starting this seed? I want to plant the tree in
my yard where it gets full sun, but wondering if I could give it a
good head start on a sunny window sill in potting soil. TIA

My garden encyclopedia lists 34 species of oak with their common names.
"Chestnut oak" is not one of them. Did you find an acorn (oak seed) or
a chestnut?

If it's an acorn, see my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_oak_acorn.html, which tells how I
got a large oak tree from an acorn.

If you get snow in your area, then refrigerating the acorn is good. If
you are in a mild-winter climate, just plant it now.

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/DENDROL...heet.cfm?ID=76

Looks like I do NOT have a chestnut oak seed. Unless there are
different varieties of chesnut oak? The hull of the seed had a thick
green covering that peels off, growing somewhat like coconut flesh.
Perhaps this seed is a chestnut?
Old 03-11-2008, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

A good book for questions about seeds in USA.
SEEDS OF WOODY PLANTS IN THE UNITED STATES
FOREST SERVICE, US DEPT. OF AGRICULTURE
Handbook NO. 450 reprint 1989 verses 1974 - 883 pages.
If you have trouble finding this info contact me at
and I will email you a pdf file on specific
species.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
and
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
Watch out for so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology.
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, tornado's, volcanic eruptions and other
abiotic forces keep reminding humans that they are not the boss.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 09:49:26 -0500, "SYMPLASTLESS222"
wrote:

The seed is about 1.5", has an "eye" like a buckeye, a dried 1/2"
tail, a layer of very short light fur near the tail area. It also has
a flat side. I believe it is an American Chestnut (castanea dentata).

Now it makes me wonder how long it would survive the blight here in
e.TN and the sex of the seed. I'll pot it up.

Chestnuts can, and do, sprout from the stumps and root collars of infected
trees, and survive to produce fruit. I would be curious to see the husk of
the nut, as well as a shot of the tree.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 23:19:57 -0600, "D. Staples"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

The seed is about 1.5", has an "eye" like a buckeye, a dried 1/2"
tail, a layer of very short light fur near the tail area. It also has
a flat side. I believe it is an American Chestnut (castanea dentata).

Now it makes me wonder how long it would survive the blight here in
e.TN and the sex of the seed. I'll pot it up.

Chestnuts can, and do, sprout from the stumps and root collars of infected
trees, and survive to produce fruit. I would be curious to see the husk of
the nut, as well as a shot of the tree.

You can take a look he

http://www.nsl.fs.fed.us/wpsm/index.html

The "GENERA" page maybe of help along with the "PHOTOS &
LINE DRAWINGS".

Here is a picture of an American Chestnut from the photo
page:

http://www.nsl.fs.fed.us/wpsm/Castanea_dentata.jpg

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old 04-11-2008, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

The seed is about 1.5", has an "eye" like a buckeye, a dried 1/2"
tail, a layer of very short light fur near the tail area. It also has
a flat side. I believe it is an American Chestnut (castanea dentata).

Now it makes me wonder how long it would survive the blight here in
e.TN and the sex of the seed. I'll pot it up.

Chestnuts can, and do, sprout from the stumps and root collars of infected
trees, and survive to produce fruit. I would be curious to see the husk of
the nut, as well as a shot of the tree.

You can take a look he

http://www.nsl.fs.fed.us/wpsm/index.html

The "GENERA" page maybe of help along with the "PHOTOS &
LINE DRAWINGS".

Here is a picture of an American Chestnut from the photo
page:

http://www.nsl.fs.fed.us/wpsm/Castanea_dentata.jpg

Thanks, but, I was asking about the tree and nut he had found.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"D. Staples" wrote in message
omsupplyinc...

Chestnuts can, and do, sprout from the stumps and root collars of infected
trees, and survive to produce fruit. I would be curious to see the husk
of the nut, as well as a shot of the tree.

Don, what do you know about the root collar? I think it is the transition
zone between woody stem and woody root. Located just below the trunk flair,
if the tree has one. I would be interested in hearing what you have
learned, beyond that. Thanks in advance.

John The Treeman

Old 08-11-2008, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 09:42:47 -0500, Phisherman
wrote:

I found a chestnut oak seed and put it in the refrigerator last month
to simulate winter (not sure if this is necessary for oak). What is
the best method of starting this seed? I want to plant the tree in
my yard where it gets full sun, but wondering if I could give it a
good head start on a sunny window sill in potting soil. TIA

To follow up, the seed is history. After removing the seed from the
cold, and warming it up on a damp paper towel seven white grubs ate
their way through two clean holes in the shell. ...at least, a
special treat for the goldfish.
Old 14-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Registered User

Chestnuts can do, germination and root collar of infected trees stumps survive to produce fruit. I am curious to see the skin and a tree nuts. I found a oak seed, put it in the refrigerator last month simulated winter (do not know if this is necessary oak).
Pond Supplies

[IMG] code is On

Pachera / tropical chestnut. Pablo Edible Gardening 0 17-11-2003 02:42 PM
growing fir cones and horse chestnut? Bry United Kingdom 19 09-10-2003 04:23 PM
[IBC] Horse Chestnut Jim Lewis Bonsai 4 02-09-2003 12:02 AM
Horse Chestnut Seedlings StormCrow United Kingdom 6 13-05-2003 04:32 PM
Sprouting/Growing Edible Chestnut? Terry United Kingdom 6 11-03-2003 12:32 PM