Old 03-11-2008, 01:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Which is better for the lawn over the winter?

On Nov 1, 9:11*am, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:
A typical wetting agent is common dishwashing (manual) liquid detergent.
A typical agent for aiding "good" bacteria that eats lawn refuse like leaves
and grass cuttings is the common beer.

I'd like to see any credible authority that has done any actual
testing or at least offers a scientific explanation for the idea that
spreading beer around a lawn is going to aid good bacteria or make any
difference in the lawn. What exactly in beer is going to promote
this miracle effect? I'm betting this is another urban legend,
often repeated, but without basis. I'd love to see this tested on
Mythbusters.

The typical nonsense says to mix up a gallon or two of this stuff
using a couple beers, then says to spray it on the lawn. Hmmm, they
usually fail to mention anything about the application rate, which
immediately brings their knowledge base into serious question.

Teas are not an exact science of mixtures and percentages related to water.