Old 10-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Chris

Default Is my bamboo dead ?

(Neil) wrote in message om...
Hi all, just found the group and hope maybe some of you guys could
help me out. About 3 weeks ago I bought a Phyllostachys aurea (Golden
Bamboo) from my local garden centre and think maybe I was sold a dud
(?65 in Ireland). When I went to plant it in my garden I discovered I
had to cut the pot off as the roots had grown around the pot in a
circle and were bulging into the side of the pot. The leaf tips are
brown from roughly half the way back and some are curling up. The guy
I bought it off told me this was normal after winter. There dosen't
seem to be any sign of new growth yet even though we have had
beautiful weather here for the last couple of weeks. Any ideas what I
can do or is it too late.

No, your Aurea is just ready to run... Runners always "circle the
pot". Usually when they are about to shoot the leaves turn brownish.
Once the new shoots are up you will get a new flush of leaves. When
you plant a bamboo, it is always best to cut the pot off so you don't
damage the rhizomes and feeder roots.

IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO KILL P. AUREA!! Every horror story anybody
has ever heard about bamboo is P. Aurea :-)

Enjoy your plant!