Old 10-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Neil

Default Is my bamboo dead ?

Hi all, just found the group and hope maybe some of you guys could
help me out. About 3 weeks ago I bought a Phyllostachys aurea (Golden
Bamboo) from my local garden centre and think maybe I was sold a dud
(€65 in Ireland). When I went to plant it in my garden I discovered I
had to cut the pot off as the roots had grown around the pot in a
circle and were bulging into the side of the pot. The leaf tips are
brown from roughly half the way back and some are curling up. The guy
I bought it off told me this was normal after winter. There dosen't
seem to be any sign of new growth yet even though we have had
beautiful weather here for the last couple of weeks. Any ideas what I
can do or is it too late.
Old 10-04-2003, 04:20 AM
plantsman

It's probably not dead, just stressed from needing more leg room. Don't
expect too much from it this year. It may take awhile to recover and for
the rhizome to silently creep outwards. It might not put out any new culms
this year. Next year you may be pleasantly surprised.

David

m...

Old 10-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Beecrofter

From what I recall about Irelands climate you have what would equate
to a USDA zone 7 or 8 in the USA. Short of having stored this potted
bamboo under water I doubt that they managed to kill it but it will
take a few years before it really grows strong.
Below is a link with all kinds of information on bamboo.

http://www.northeastbamboo.org/
Old 10-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Neil

Thanks for the replies lads, I feel much better now.
Neil