Old 04-11-2008, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
D. Staples D. Staples is offline

Default Chestnut Oak seed

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 23:19:57 -0600, "D. Staples"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 09:49:26 -0500, "SYMPLASTLESS222"
wrote:

The seed is about 1.5", has an "eye" like a buckeye, a dried 1/2"
tail, a layer of very short light fur near the tail area. It also has
a flat side. I believe it is an American Chestnut (castanea dentata).

Now it makes me wonder how long it would survive the blight here in
e.TN and the sex of the seed. I'll pot it up.

Chestnuts can, and do, sprout from the stumps and root collars of infected
trees, and survive to produce fruit. I would be curious to see the husk of
the nut, as well as a shot of the tree.

You can take a look he

http://www.nsl.fs.fed.us/wpsm/index.html

The "GENERA" page maybe of help along with the "PHOTOS &
LINE DRAWINGS".

Here is a picture of an American Chestnut from the photo
page:

http://www.nsl.fs.fed.us/wpsm/Castanea_dentata.jpg

Thanks, but, I was asking about the tree and nut he had found.