Old 04-11-2008, 05:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

Default Say goodbye to Tecumseh engines

On Nov 4, 10:19*am, ExPat wrote:
On Nov 3, 7:08*pm, Art wrote:

EXT wrote:
As bad as you say they are, I have a snow blower (I think they cornered
the snow blower market with their Snow King engines) with a Tecumseh
engine and a 30+ year old Troy-Bilt tiller with a cast iron Tecumseh
engine --- giving me concern on availability of parts, possibly I should
stock up on carburetor rebuild kits for both as they tend to clog up
during idle times, and points sets for the older engine as it tends to
burn them up every few years after hard work.

I never said they were bad. You have me confused with ExPat. Tecumseh
made some very good horizontal engines. IMO, They got a bad rep for
building vertical shaft engines to Sears specs to meet a particular
price point rather than any certain standard of quality.

--
Art

I agree, Tec did make some good and even great cast iron block
horizontal engines, unfortunately just like ART said, they succumbed
to Crapsman cheapness. The motors they make today and for many years
since those good old cast iron engines leave a lot to be desired, as
no longevity wsa builtinto them or their design. Their crankcase is
much thinner than the typical B&S......as is their conn rods and
heads. Everyhting is redeuced tothe point to require less materials
tomake, yet nothing was done to beef up the overall design..........I
guess when you get used to building junk for such a company as Sears
you assume you have it made and no need to change.........but it seems
to have bit Tec in the backside.........- Hide quoted text -

manufacturers are stuck; they have to deal with the big stores to get
market share, then they get chewed up. frankly, i think the better bet
is to resign yourself to being a small, boutique operation providing
niche products rather than mass market.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...n_snapper.html