Old 10-04-2003, 05:22 PM
Sacha

Default Lavender hedge

in article , Peter James at
wrote on 10/4/03 4:26 pm:

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 19:37:10 +0100, Peter James
wrote:

snip
We lifted every third one this afternoon, and each one is obviously
dead. Oh well, you pay for experience I guess. We live in Cornwall,
on a wet part of the north coast, and I guess the plant didn't like it
one bit. Back to the RHS Plant guide, and we'll find another species
to plant out. Any suggestions anyone?

Very bad luck but we've all got similar stories - unfortunately. I had some
under a window which sulked and did very badly because the Devon soil was
heavy and too damp for them. So I dug them all up and moved them to a low
double skinned wall that was filled with rubble and had about 1' of earth on
top of that. They thought they'd gone to heaven and last time I saw them
they were elbowing everything else out of the way.
If you try them again, plant them in a similar situation, if you can and
just lightly trim them at the end of each year. Don't cut hard into the old
wood or they won't come back.
If this is just an ornamental hedge, rather than an actual barrier, how
about Nandina domestica if it can have the drainage. It likes moisture but
good drainage. Very pretty thing with elegant leaves and white flowers with
long yellow stamens followed by berries.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk