Old 05-11-2008, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Veg Growing

On Nov 5, 4:30 pm, "Cerumen" wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 19:12:56 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

The message
from "TheScullster" contains these words:

Following the removal of some conifers, I plan to expand my veg patch
and
need to form a strategy for next year.
Is there a site which tells you what to plant when, how to prepare the
ground etc to give as good a yield as possible.
We're not too fussy over veg so a general cover all will probably suit.
I am also interested in the crop rotation element.
Not a total beginner but not far off.

Before you plant anything you will have to improve the soil where you
have had conifers, otherwise there is little point in planting any
veg. Get loads of manure.

And lime as soil under conifers is very often made more acidic than
originally.

--
Chris.
Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Definitely Chris, it's a good place to grow shrubs though,
Rhododendrons do very well, mine do anyway.

Judith