Old 10-04-2003, 05:32 PM
ted kell

Default [IBC] Germinating Ficus seeds

In article 016101c2fee1$561f6530$f867c144@vaio,
Bart Thomas wrote:
Ted:

Are you sure that they are seeds? Many ficus generate what looks like a tiny
fruit. Inside this is the flower. It is usually pollinated by a tiny wasp of
a locally specific species that crawls inside (and dies, adding its body as
fertilizer.)

Well, hummmm..., I bought F. benghalensis, religiosa, and krishnae somthings
or other from a seed merchant in California. What I got were little things
about the size of a print period. One can only hope.

Ted

I have this from Jim Smith. Only native ficus (with the help of native
wasps) bear fruit.

Jerry M?

Regards,

Bart