Old 09-04-2003, 11:11 PM
Bart Thomas

Default [IBC] Germinating Ficus seeds

Ted:

Are you sure that they are seeds? Many ficus generate what looks like a tiny
fruit. Inside this is the flower. It is usually pollinated by a tiny wasp of
a locally specific species that crawls inside (and dies, adding its body as
fertilizer.)

I have this from Jim Smith. Only native ficus (with the help of native
wasps) bear fruit.

Jerry M?

Regards,

Bart
Old 10-04-2003, 04:44 AM
Jerry Meislik

Bart,
You are right figs require a wasp to produce fertile seed so even though
there are figs present does not mean that they will have viable seed.
Some seed merchants do sell ficus seed of many varieties.
In the USA there are few species of fig wasps available so most fig trees do
not have viable seed.
I have germinated edible fig seed on chopped sphagnum moss. The edible fig
may set seed without any fig wasps by parthogenetic means.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 3-4
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
Ted:

Are you sure that they are seeds? Many ficus generate what looks like a tiny
fruit. Inside this is the flower. It is usually pollinated by a tiny wasp of
a locally specific species that crawls inside (and dies, adding its body as
fertilizer.)

I have this from Jim Smith. Only native ficus (with the help of native
wasps) bear fruit.

Jerry M?

Regards,

Bart
I have aquired seeds from several ficus species and am wondering if
anyone has a good way to get them to germinate?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 10-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Neal Ross

I didn't know that! You mean those pesky things actually serve a purpose
other than to inflict pain?

--I crucified my hate and
held the world within my hands--
Neal Ross-Marysville CA

Old 10-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Nina Shishkoff

I didn't know that! You mean those pesky things actually serve a purpose
other than to inflict pain?

The wasps that pollinate figs are very tiny. How tiny? If you have
a fig with fruit on it (as I do, with my mistletoe fig), examine the
bottom of the fruits. You will see a tiny pore. That's the entry
port for the wasp.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

Old 10-04-2003, 05:32 PM
ted kell

In article 016101c2fee1$561f6530$f867c144@vaio,
Bart Thomas wrote:
Ted:

Are you sure that they are seeds? Many ficus generate what looks like a tiny
fruit. Inside this is the flower. It is usually pollinated by a tiny wasp of
a locally specific species that crawls inside (and dies, adding its body as
fertilizer.)

Well, hummmm..., I bought F. benghalensis, religiosa, and krishnae somthings
or other from a seed merchant in California. What I got were little things
about the size of a print period. One can only hope.

Ted

I have this from Jim Smith. Only native ficus (with the help of native
wasps) bear fruit.

Jerry M?

Regards,

Bart
I have aquired seeds from several ficus species and am wondering if
anyone has a good way to get them to germinate?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Ted

****

****