Old 10-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Paul Kelly

Default Lavender hedge

"Peter James" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 19:37:10 +0100, Peter James
wrote:

We lifted every third one this afternoon, and each one is obviously
dead. Oh well, you pay for experience I guess. We live in Cornwall,
on a wet part of the north coast, and I guess the plant didn't like it
one bit. Back to the RHS Plant guide, and we'll find another species
to plant out. Any suggestions anyone?

Ummm, possibly a tad too wet for it it N Cornwall but which bit? we go to
Porthcothan every year to see friends who do have lavender in the garden.

You can give it a better chance by putting lots of grit in the soil to
improve drainage. It is really wet + cold it doen't like, so provided you
can give it dry feet it stands a chnce in your warm climate. Also, avoid the
French lavendres one of the basic English types would stand best chance.

pk