Old 06-11-2008, 03:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Rain Beautiful Rain-5494

"Mary Fisher" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote
Thanks for that, cheered me up no end.
Here everything is turning brown and all the leaves are on the ground or
soon will be, my Banana (M.lasiocarpa) and other tender plants have been
hit by frost and the banana will need it's winter coat soon, the sun has
refused to show itself for days, and it's now drizzling persistently.

You have a banana!

Up here my medlar is exotic :-)

We've been in Wales then I was struck down with norovirus, today I went to
look at my strip of garden in the street, it's a daily habit to catch the
weeds before they get big.

Couldn't see any weeds :-)

Couldn't see much :-(

As you say, golden, brown, russet and yellow leaves are thick on the
ground.

No room for a medlar in our tiny garden which is why we have the allotment.
M. lasiocarpa is probably the hardiest of the Bananas, doesn't grow very
tall, ours got to about 7ft this year, but does spread if it likes the spot.
It's against a W. facing wall so only gets sun from mid morning in summer
(if there is any!) but is protected from most of the wind. We let the frost
cut it back a bit and then cover with the old leaves and some other garden
stuff making a wigwam and wait 'till spring when it will show growth through
the protection.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden