Old 05-11-2008, 12:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Rain Beautiful Rain-5494

Attached Thumbnails
Rain Beautiful Rain-5494-b-5494_2_3_rain-05-11-08-40-40.jpg
Old 05-11-2008, 01:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Maroochy" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote:

begin 666 b-5494_2_3_rain-05-11-08-40-40.jpg
[Image]

end

Hey Maroochy! It's a jungle out there! :-D
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Old 05-11-2008, 01:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Love your garden and the photos, Barbara. Also love the song by Ladysmith
Black Mamboza.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

BarbaraH wrote

Thanks for that, cheered me up no end.
Here everything is turning brown and all the leaves are on the ground or
soon will be, my Banana (M.lasiocarpa) and other tender plants have been hit
by frost and the banana will need it's winter coat soon, the sun has refused
to show itself for days, and it's now drizzling persistently.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-11-2008, 07:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
news

BarbaraH wrote

Thanks for that, cheered me up no end.
Here everything is turning brown and all the leaves are on the ground or
soon will be, my Banana (M.lasiocarpa) and other tender plants have been
hit by frost and the banana will need it's winter coat soon, the sun has
refused to show itself for days, and it's now drizzling persistently.

You have a banana!

Up here my medlar is exotic :-)

We've been in Wales then I was struck down with norovirus, today I went to
look at my strip of garden in the street, it's a daily habit to catch the
weeds before they get big.

Couldn't see any weeds :-)

Couldn't see much :-(

As you say, golden, brown, russet and yellow leaves are thick on the ground.

Mary

Old 06-11-2008, 01:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Omelet wrote:

Hey Maroochy! It's a jungle out there! :-D

Yep, sure is. :-)

Old 06-11-2008, 01:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Basketweaver wrote:
Love your garden and the photos, Barbara. Also love the song by
Ladysmith Black Mamboza.

LOL thanks Pam.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Hobden wrote:
BarbaraH wrote

Thanks for that, cheered me up no end.

No worries, thanks for looking.

Here everything is turning brown and all the leaves are on the ground
or soon will be, my Banana (M.lasiocarpa) and other tender plants
have been hit by frost and the banana will need it's winter coat
soon, the sun has refused to show itself for days, and it's now
drizzling persistently.

I like my sunshine and at least when it rains here, it clears up again very
quickly.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote
Thanks for that, cheered me up no end.
Here everything is turning brown and all the leaves are on the ground or
soon will be, my Banana (M.lasiocarpa) and other tender plants have been
hit by frost and the banana will need it's winter coat soon, the sun has
refused to show itself for days, and it's now drizzling persistently.

You have a banana!

Up here my medlar is exotic :-)

We've been in Wales then I was struck down with norovirus, today I went to
look at my strip of garden in the street, it's a daily habit to catch the
weeds before they get big.

Couldn't see any weeds :-)

Couldn't see much :-(

As you say, golden, brown, russet and yellow leaves are thick on the
ground.

No room for a medlar in our tiny garden which is why we have the allotment.
M. lasiocarpa is probably the hardiest of the Bananas, doesn't grow very
tall, ours got to about 7ft this year, but does spread if it likes the spot.
It's against a W. facing wall so only gets sun from mid morning in summer
(if there is any!) but is protected from most of the wind. We let the frost
cut it back a bit and then cover with the old leaves and some other garden
stuff making a wigwam and wait 'till spring when it will show growth through
the protection.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-11-2008, 08:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

your banana

No room for a medlar in our tiny garden which is why we have the
allotment.

The medlar isn't big. About six fruits this year - but it's only about four
years old.

M. lasiocarpa is probably the hardiest of the Bananas, doesn't grow very
tall, ours got to about 7ft this year, but does spread if it likes the
spot. It's against a W. facing wall so only gets sun from mid morning in
summer (if there is any!)

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrghhhhhhhh ...... shouldn't mention the 's' word! You'll
frighten it :-(

but is protected from most of the wind. We let the frost cut it back a bit
and then cover with the old leaves and some other garden stuff making a
wigwam and wait 'till spring when it will show growth through the
protection.

But do you get fruit?

I doubt it would survive up here :-(

Mary

Old 06-11-2008, 10:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote...
[...]

There are no bananas that you can get edible fruit from that will grow
outside in the UK, anywhere.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-11-2008, 09:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

There are no bananas that you can get edible fruit from that will grow
outside in the UK, anywhere.

Oh, how sad. That means I shan't have to buy one :-^

:-)

But I do wonder what the point of growing one is, is it a particularly
beautiful or interesting plant or do you just enjoy the challenge?
Seriously.

Mary

Old 07-11-2008, 05:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote
There are no bananas that you can get edible fruit from that will grow
outside in the UK, anywhere.

Oh, how sad. That means I shan't have to buy one :-^

:-)

But I do wonder what the point of growing one is, is it a particularly
beautiful or interesting plant or do you just enjoy the challenge?
Seriously.

They add a touch of the exotic with their big green leaves, a very
architectural plant.
Mine also has a big yellow flower (when it decides to flower).
--
Regards
Bob Hobden