Old 08-11-2008, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Jacaranda

In article ,
says...
In article ,
someone wrote:

"bobharvey" wrote in message
Possible re-post. I posted on this yesterday via Gurgle Gropes,, but
it has not appeared there today.

Yesterday I was driven under an arching avenue of Jacaranda trees in
full blossom, an endless corridor of lavender-blue against a dark and
thundery african sky. It was heartbreakingly beautiful, and set me
wondering.

Can I grow the thing in Lincolnshire? Our ever-changing climate is
making me wonder about lemons and peaches, but what about Jacaranda?

I saw the same thing in an avenue in Buenos Aires, the trees were so
beautiful I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

I have some Jacaranda seeds I purchased in Tenerife recently, so I'm going
to see if I can get them going. If we all have friends with large enough
greenhouses, or even polytunnels, who will host them, who knows, maybe
they'll bloom.

I picked mine off a tree, and am doing the same. I am not expecting
it to work, as apparently they don't flower until fairly large.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Saw some newish trees on Madeira this year flowering at around 8' (2.4M)
quite like the foliage but my seedlings were sad to behold and eventually
I thought it kindest to allow them to die.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk