Old 26-10-2008, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Jacaranda

Possible re-post. I posted on this yesterday via Gurgle Gropes,, but
it has not appeared there today.

Yesterday I was driven under an arching avenue of Jacaranda trees in
full blossom, an endless corridor of lavender-blue against a dark and
thundery african sky. It was heartbreakingly beautiful, and set me
wondering.

Can I grow the thing in Lincolnshire? Our ever-changing climate is
making me wonder about lemons and peaches, but what about Jacaranda?
Old 26-10-2008, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from bobharvey contains these words:

Possible re-post. I posted on this yesterday via Gurgle Gropes,, but
it has not appeared there today.

panto

Oh yes it has!

/panto

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 07-11-2008, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bobharvey" wrote in message
Possible re-post. I posted on this yesterday via Gurgle Gropes,, but
it has not appeared there today.

Yesterday I was driven under an arching avenue of Jacaranda trees in
full blossom, an endless corridor of lavender-blue against a dark and
thundery african sky. It was heartbreakingly beautiful, and set me
wondering.

Can I grow the thing in Lincolnshire? Our ever-changing climate is
making me wonder about lemons and peaches, but what about Jacaranda?

I saw the same thing in an avenue in Buenos Aires, the trees were so
beautiful I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

I have some Jacaranda seeds I purchased in Tenerife recently, so I'm going
to see if I can get them going. If we all have friends with large enough
greenhouses, or even polytunnels, who will host them, who knows, maybe
they'll bloom.

someone

Old 08-11-2008, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
someone wrote:

"bobharvey" wrote in message
Possible re-post. I posted on this yesterday via Gurgle Gropes,, but
it has not appeared there today.

Yesterday I was driven under an arching avenue of Jacaranda trees in
full blossom, an endless corridor of lavender-blue against a dark and
thundery african sky. It was heartbreakingly beautiful, and set me
wondering.

Can I grow the thing in Lincolnshire? Our ever-changing climate is
making me wonder about lemons and peaches, but what about Jacaranda?

I saw the same thing in an avenue in Buenos Aires, the trees were so
beautiful I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

I have some Jacaranda seeds I purchased in Tenerife recently, so I'm going
to see if I can get them going. If we all have friends with large enough
greenhouses, or even polytunnels, who will host them, who knows, maybe
they'll bloom.

I picked mine off a tree, and am doing the same. I am not expecting
it to work, as apparently they don't flower until fairly large.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , someone
writes

"bobharvey" wrote in message
[...]

I agree .... the jacarandas in Bs. Aires are absolutely breathtaking.
The parks, plazas & avenidas and even the golf courses are a riot of
blue. It's a wonderful city in any case but worth visiting for the
jacaranda alone (at the right time of year Nov/Dec/Jan)
--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset

Old 08-11-2008, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
In article ,
someone wrote:

"bobharvey" wrote in message
[...]

Saw some newish trees on Madeira this year flowering at around 8' (2.4M)
quite like the foliage but my seedlings were sad to behold and eventually
I thought it kindest to allow them to die.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 08-11-2008, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Saw some newish trees on Madeira this year flowering at around 8' (2.4M)
quite like the foliage but my seedlings were sad to behold and eventually
I thought it kindest to allow them to die.

They seem to take a long time to get going in the frigid and gloomy
north. I have one that has got to about 4" high, after 2 years.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
snip

Saw some newish trees on Madeira this year flowering at around 8' (2.4M)
quite like the foliage but my seedlings were sad to behold and eventually
I thought it kindest to allow them to die.
--

I've had the same problem with Bixa orellana . I planted a load of seeds,
they all came up and did quite well to begin with, but after three years I

Ditto with my Hippobroma longiflora, I had two plants in pots which were
absolutely thriving through the summer, but since I've brought them indoors,
they've wilted and probably won't make it through the winter. Maybe it's
something to do with lack of sun, I dunno.

Anyway, I shall try again with my Jacaranda seeds and see if I have any
luck.

someone