Old 10-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Lavender hedge

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
in article , Peter James at
wrote on 10/4/03 4:26 pm:

Very bad luck but we've all got similar stories - unfortunately. I had some
under a window which sulked and did very badly because the Devon soil was
heavy and too damp for them. So I dug them all up and moved them to a low
double skinned wall that was filled with rubble and had about 1' of earth on
top of that. They thought they'd gone to heaven and last time I saw them
they were elbowing everything else out of the way.

Even here, on 60% sand and half the rainfall, I have had trouble.
Sacha's technique is obviously the solution!

If this is just an ornamental hedge, rather than an actual barrier, how
about Nandina domestica if it can have the drainage. It likes moisture but
good drainage. Very pretty thing with elegant leaves and white flowers with
long yellow stamens followed by berries.

Or, if you don't, what about Vaccinium? There are several plausible
species, and I think that they can stand clipping - plus you might
even get fruit if the birds don't get there first :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.