Old 10-11-2008, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Raised garden redux

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message
I was out scrounging today at a location where they abandoned a dirt
operation. I was looking for plate and screen. I found a lot of both,
particularly industrial screen that I now can make a hefty sifter to
separate fine soil from the local rocks.

What I did find were a dozen 40" diameter collars. They are galvanized
steel, and use two allthread devices to suck them up. They were intended
to join two large sections of galvanized pipe together. They are 16"
wide, so they are perfect for tree rings. Having the split in them, just
pull them apart, go around they tree, and bolt them together.

Two of them stacked would make one perfect raised bed.

Scrounging can be a good thing.

Shonuff

Around here split tractor tyres are used in a similar way. You cut through
the side wall on both sides and take out the middle, which is easier than it
sounds.

David