Old 10-11-2008, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Raised garden redux

In article ,
"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

I was out scrounging today at a location where they abandoned a dirt
operation. I was looking for plate and screen. I found a lot of both,
particularly industrial screen that I now can make a hefty sifter to
separate fine soil from the local rocks.

What I did find were a dozen 40" diameter collars. They are galvanized
steel, and use two allthread devices to suck them up. They were intended to
join two large sections of galvanized pipe together. They are 16" wide, so
they are perfect for tree rings. Having the split in them, just pull them
apart, go around they tree, and bolt them together.

Two of them stacked would make one perfect raised bed.

Scrounging can be a good thing.

We also found where someone had taken down a very large tree. They sawed it
into 16" lengths. We loaded the pickup up, and I have a splitter. Easier
than driving the 80 mile round trip to the local forest cutting grounds.

Steve

Nice score!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Old 10-11-2008, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

- Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers. - Barack
Obama

Cite please where Obama actually said that???
That's fascinating.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message
I was out scrounging today at a location where they abandoned a dirt
operation. I was looking for plate and screen. I found a lot of both,
particularly industrial screen that I now can make a hefty sifter to
separate fine soil from the local rocks.

What I did find were a dozen 40" diameter collars. They are galvanized
steel, and use two allthread devices to suck them up. They were intended
to join two large sections of galvanized pipe together. They are 16"
wide, so they are perfect for tree rings. Having the split in them, just
pull them apart, go around they tree, and bolt them together.

Two of them stacked would make one perfect raised bed.

Scrounging can be a good thing.

Shonuff

Around here split tractor tyres are used in a similar way. You cut through
the side wall on both sides and take out the middle, which is easier than it
sounds.

David

Old 10-11-2008, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

[...]

Holy crap, does that bring back memories. As a commercial diver, we would
sometimes have to get tires out of boat propellers. And I'm talking about
semi truck tires and propellers that were many feet in diameter. AND
working in water where you could not see your hand in front of your face.
Sometimes, we were able to get them out with come alongs, or hooking another
boat to it, and pulling in the right spot. But it was hazardous, as one
could pull out the entire shaft. About 80% went to the drydock, or partial
where they would sling the rear of the boat and lift it enough to cut the
tire, which took hours. THE absolute worst thing to get caught in a prop.

Steve

Old 10-11-2008, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

sometime in the recent past Omelet posted this:
In article ,
"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

- Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers. - Barack
Obama

Cite please where Obama actually said that???
That's fascinating.

http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/32082.html attributes it to Homer
Simpson and I see no references to accrediting Barack. Me thinks a leg hath
been pulled.

--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"
Old 10-11-2008, 02:51 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Wilson wrote:

sometime in the recent past Omelet posted this:
In article ,
"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

- Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers. -
Barack
Obama

Cite please where Obama actually said that???
That's fascinating.

http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/32082.html attributes it to Homer
Simpson and I see no references to accrediting Barack. Me thinks a leg hath
been pulled.

Which is why I prefer cites for some stuff anymore before stating them
as facts. g