Old 11-11-2008, 07:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sherwin dubren sherwin dubren is offline

Default Size Of Apples

GardenGerald wrote:
;817753 Wrote:
I have peach trees and was told to remove peaches until you have only
1 every so often on the branch, this will cause the peaches to get
bigger. This might also be true for apples.

On Sep 30, 10:16*pm, Michael Shields Michael.Shields.
wrote:-
We have an apple tree of the variety 'Winston Churchill' *It produces
very sweet, tasty apples but the are small (maximum 2 inches in
diameter). *The tree is about 40 years old. *Is there anything that
can
be done to increase the size of the apples?

Thanks

Mike Shields

--
Michael Shields-

Hello Mike

The variety Winston was introduced in1944 but existed before that date
as
Winter King. The apples are small but quite pleasant eating during
December to early April. It was never registered as Winston Churchill.
The colour of a ripe apple should be red over yellow.

Best wishes

Gerald.

Yes, apples will be larger if they are thinned out at an early time,
say when they are the size of a dime. If in a cluster, remove all
except the largest and cleanest one.

Sherwin