Old 30-09-2008, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Size Of Apples

I have peach trees and was told to remove peaches until you have only
1 every so often on the branch, this will cause the peaches to get
bigger. This might also be true for apples.

On Sep 30, 10:16*pm, Michael Shields Michael.Shields.
wrote:
We have an apple tree of the variety 'Winston Churchill' *It produces
very sweet, tasty apples but the are small (maximum 2 inches in
diameter). *The tree is about 40 years old. *Is there anything that can
be done to increase the size of the apples?

Thanks

Mike Shields

--
Michael Shields

Old 01-10-2008, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 03:16:07 +0100, Michael Shields
wrote:

We have an apple tree of the variety 'Winston Churchill' It produces
very sweet, tasty apples but the are small (maximum 2 inches in
diameter). The tree is about 40 years old. Is there anything that can
be done to increase the size of the apples?

Thanks

Mike Shields

You should find out how big the apples are supposed to be. Have the
soil in the area around the tree tested and add whatever nutrients are
needed.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:16 AM
Registered User

Cool Size Of Apples

Old 01-10-2008, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Whatever you do, don't tell wicked Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker. They
went bonkers for that peach and would probably respond the same way to
any apples with which you had success.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I would agree with checking the soil around the area. The tree may
also be just getting old and thats one of the affects, my Aunt has
also experienced this problem but still has no answer to the problem.
hmm.....

I would agree with checking the soil around the area. The tree may
also be just getting old and thats one of the affects, my Aunt has
also experienced this problem but still has no answer to the problem.
hmm.....

Old 01-10-2008, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Try thinning the fruit when they first setas in the peach trees
response above this will get the Apple tree to concentrate on
producing those ones left with more nutrients you should try to pick
off and leave around 2-3 per truss.

Do you also regulary prune the tree in the Fall/Autumn months?? this
could be having an effect.

If this still gives you problems try as sugested the soil test.
although i think this is a prunning issue or to many fruits for the
tree to support

www.gardeningcareblog.com

Hope this helps

Old 02-10-2008, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
We have an apple tree of the variety 'Winston Churchill' *It produces
very sweet, tasty apples but the are small (maximum 2 inches in
diameter). *The tree is about 40 years old. *Is there anything that can
be done to increase the size of the apples?

Thanks

Mike Shields

--
Michael Shields

I have 2 apple trees also and they don't produce very good apples
either. I would also like some tips to make the apples grow bigger and
better.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
We have an apple tree of the variety 'Winston Churchill' *It produces
very sweet, tasty apples but the are small (maximum 2 inches in
diameter). *The tree is about 40 years old. *Is there anything that can
be done to increase the size of the apples?

Thanks

Mike Shields

--
Michael Shields

I have 2 apple trees and neither on of them produce good apples. I was
also wondering how the apples could get bigger and better.
Mike Hawkins
Old 03-10-2008, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Are you thinning the fruit? When they are about marble-sized, remove most of
the fruit, leaving only one every 6" or so. You will take off many many more
than you leave, it feels like infanticide, and it is very boring. But the
fruit that is left should get bigger, unless it is just the nature of the
tree to bear small fruit.

--

Visit
www.insectgraphics.com for all your insect gift needs

Old 28-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

wrote:
We have an apple tree of the variety 'Winston Churchill' *It produces
very sweet, tasty apples but the are small (maximum 2 inches in
diameter). *The tree is about 40 years old. *Is there anything that can
be done to increase the size of the apples?

Thanks

Mike Shields

--
Michael Shields

Hello Mike

The variety Winston was introduced in1944 but existed before that date as
Winter King. The apples are small but quite pleasant eating during December to early April. It was never registered as Winston Churchill. The colour of a ripe apple should be red over yellow.

Best wishes

Gerald.