Old 13-11-2008, 01:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default I had a tree cut down...

On Nov 13, 7:23*am, "Jimmy" wrote:
I had a tree cut down in the front yard and the stump removed. Now the roots
and ( I think ) the stump down deep is rotting and making it hard to mow the
grass and mushrooms. Like stepping into a hole. I was thinking about tilling
the spots and removing the rotting wood, adding soil and planting grass
seed. Anyone know if this will work or should I just wait till it's all
rotten?

* * * * Thanks

I doubt you'll be able to till it. Depending on how long ago the tree
was cut down, there is likely plenty of it still there in tough enough
condition to stop a tiller. I have some partial stump/root material
left underground from 10+ years ago that I can hit with an aerator.

Usually, you just deal with this by adding some topsoil to any
depression as needed. If you're watering, doing less of that will
lessen mushrooms.