Old 15-11-2008, 04:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default I had a tree cut down...

"Art" wrote in message
Dioclese wrote:
"Jimmy" wrote in message
I had a tree cut down in the front yard and the stump removed. Now the
roots and ( I think ) the stump down deep is rotting and making it hard
to mow the grass and mushrooms. Like stepping into a hole. I was
thinking about tilling the spots and removing the rotting wood, adding
soil and planting grass seed. Anyone know if this will work or should I
just wait till it's all rotten?

Thanks

If oak, watch out for oak wilt. Exposing the roots to open air and
fungus may bring such a condition on.

I'm not exactly sure what oak wilt is but if the tree was cut down and all
that's left is an underground stump and roots, then what does oak wilt
matter?

--
Art

Oak wilt is a form of fungus that attacks exposed root wounds on oaks. It
kills the tree. Its also contagious to oaks in their proximity like the
other oak(s) on the property or the neighbor's oak.

If you're relying on the fact the tree is cut down to establish oak wilt is
not a factor, you are incorrect.
--
Dave

If it looks like fish, smells like fish, its not
a cantaloupe.