Old 16-11-2008, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default String beans

"alanr" wrote in message
I'm new to gardening. We live in a semi tropical zone and planted some
string beans early October. The 9 plants climbed the 2.5m poles we placed
and appeared to be doing fine when all of a sudden the leaves in the
center area of the plant have wilted and fallen off. The top of the plants
are doing OK and the bottom is doing better. There is no evidence I can
see of insect or disease. Temperatures have been 25 - 30 C and plenty of
rain. We purchased the soil for our little garden, perhaps we should
fertilize? Everything else, broccoli, carrot, garlic, lettuce, tomato and
celery is doing OK.
Any suggestions?
Thank You
Al

Hard to say without seeing the beans but my guess is it's a fungus. Under
your conditions there may be little that you can do about it.

David