Old 18-11-2008, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider Spider is offline

Default Cotoneaster roots causing structural damage?

"Dave97" wrote in message
news

I have a Cotoneaster growing against a wall of my house. It has been
there for about 20 years and is about 10 ft tall and 10 foot wide. I
prune it every year. However I am concerned that it's roots may be
damaging the structure of the house wall. Several roots are pushing up
a patio paving stone and there is also a small crack on the inside wall
between the wall and ceiling inside the house but this may be caused by
normal settlement of the property.
It is a lovely plant and gives us lots of pleasure so I don't want to
lose it.
Does anyone know if the roots of this plant can cause structural damage
please?
Thanks.

Dave
--

Dave97

I've never heard of this happening but, obviously something is affecting
that patio stone and, perhaps, even that internal wall. Talking to a good,
experienced tree surgeon may help, or a structural surveyor. If it were my
home at risk, I would want some professional reassurance in writing. It may
be a good idea to speak to your mortgage provider (or council, as
appropriate) as they may know the very man to answer your questions and,
hopefully, reassure you.

I'm truly not trying to frighten you, but just to prod you into relieving
yourself of that nagging doubt. Hope all is well.

Spider