Old 17-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Registered User

Default Cotoneaster roots causing structural damage?

I have a Cotoneaster growing against a wall of my house. It has been there for about 20 years and is about 10 ft tall and 10 foot wide. I prune it every year. However I am concerned that it's roots may be damaging the structure of the house wall. Several roots are pushing up a patio paving stone and there is also a small crack on the inside wall between the wall and ceiling inside the house but this may be caused by normal settlement of the property.
It is a lovely plant and gives us lots of pleasure so I don't want to lose it.
Does anyone know if the roots of this plant can cause structural damage please?
Thanks.

Dave
Old 17-11-2008, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Dave97 contains these words:

I have a Cotoneaster growing against a wall of my house. It has been
there for about 20 years and is about 10 ft tall and 10 foot wide. I
prune it every year. However I am concerned that it's roots may be
damaging the structure of the house wall. Several roots are pushing up
a patio paving stone and there is also a small crack on the inside wall
between the wall and ceiling inside the house but this may be caused by
normal settlement of the property.
It is a lovely plant and gives us lots of pleasure so I don't want to
lose it.
Does anyone know if the roots of this plant can cause structural damage
please?

I've never heard of it happening.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 17-11-2008, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty_Hinge
writes
The message
from Dave97 contains these words:

I have a Cotoneaster growing against a wall of my house. It has been
there for about 20 years and is about 10 ft tall and 10 foot wide. I
prune it every year. However I am concerned that it's roots may be
damaging the structure of the house wall. Several roots are pushing up
a patio paving stone and there is also a small crack on the inside wall
between the wall and ceiling inside the house but this may be caused by
normal settlement of the property.
It is a lovely plant and gives us lots of pleasure so I don't want to
lose it.
Does anyone know if the roots of this plant can cause structural damage
please?

I've never heard of it happening.

When I removed a very mature Cotoneaster shrub (bugger of a job!) the
roots did not appear to be tough enough to damage property.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 17-11-2008, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

When I removed a very mature Cotoneaster shrub (bugger of a job!) the
roots did not appear to be tough enough to damage property.

It's hydraulic pressure that causes the damage - even mushrooms will
break through asphalte to have a breather.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 18-11-2008, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

I have a Cotoneaster growing against a wall of my house. It has been
there for about 20 years and is about 10 ft tall and 10 foot wide. I
prune it every year. However I am concerned that it's roots may be
damaging the structure of the house wall. Several roots are pushing up
a patio paving stone and there is also a small crack on the inside wall
between the wall and ceiling inside the house but this may be caused by
normal settlement of the property.
It is a lovely plant and gives us lots of pleasure so I don't want to
lose it.
Does anyone know if the roots of this plant can cause structural damage
please?
Thanks.

Dave

A cotoneaster, even a large one is not that water hungry and will not be
likely to cause subsidence due to shrinkage of clay soils in dry
conditions, nor are the roots every likely to be so big and powerful to
move your walls. However each house and plant is a different case and it
is very difficult to predict the very rare occasions when a plant will
cause damage. Many more innocent plants are removed than guilty!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 18-11-2008, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave97" wrote in message
news

I have a Cotoneaster growing against a wall of my house. It has been
there for about 20 years and is about 10 ft tall and 10 foot wide. I
prune it every year. However I am concerned that it's roots may be
damaging the structure of the house wall. Several roots are pushing up
a patio paving stone and there is also a small crack on the inside wall
between the wall and ceiling inside the house but this may be caused by
normal settlement of the property.
It is a lovely plant and gives us lots of pleasure so I don't want to
lose it.
Does anyone know if the roots of this plant can cause structural damage
please?
Thanks.

Dave
--

Dave97

I've never heard of this happening but, obviously something is affecting
that patio stone and, perhaps, even that internal wall. Talking to a good,
experienced tree surgeon may help, or a structural surveyor. If it were my
home at risk, I would want some professional reassurance in writing. It may
be a good idea to speak to your mortgage provider (or council, as
appropriate) as they may know the very man to answer your questions and,
hopefully, reassure you.

I'm truly not trying to frighten you, but just to prod you into relieving
yourself of that nagging doubt. Hope all is well.

Spider