Old 19-11-2008, 08:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
R M Watkin R M Watkin is offline

Default Care of cherry tree

Hi Sherwin,

"sherwin dubren" wrote in message
R M Watkin wrote:

A grease band is put round a tree trunk to stop caterpillars climbing up
the tree trunk to infect the blosom [ young fruit ]. All it is is apiece
of cloth smothered in grease and put round the tree trunk. hope this
helps you.

Richard M. watkin.

We're in Norfolk, btw.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I do similar things, but never knew it had a name. Actually, I use
something called Tanglefoot sold here in the USA. It is a clear gel
that is extremely sticky. I used it to keep ants from herding aphids
up my apple trees. Some people don't like the discoloring of the bark
so they first wrap the trunk with some material and coat that instead.

That is a greaseband, but in the U. K. it is made from scratch.

Richard M. Watkin.

I guess by fleecing, you mean wraping it up. Unlike evergreens who
could be damaged by wind burn, I think the upper part of this cherry
tree can take this kind of weather.

Sherwin