Old 21-11-2008, 12:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
PDM PDM is offline

Default Need Acidic Soil for Blueberries

"Chrisguk" wrote in message

Im looking to turn my lawn more acidic in order to accomodate my apple
trees to their full nutritional potential and also create a raised bed
of more acidic soil for some blueberries. Various ph tests from around
my garden show some parts as alkaline and others as borderline neutral
with the barest of acidity.
I have read that apple trees prefer soil to be somewhat acidic, no less
than ph 5.5, and that blueberries prefer between ph 4.5 and 5.5.

I have purchased some sulphate of iron and am looking for some advice.

How often with how much per square yard/meter should i apply? Could
this particular sulphate have some adverse affects on my lawn,
blueberry or apple tree roots?
I have also heard that it helps prevent certain fungus', diseases and
weeds, which seems beneficial to my growing fruit garden.

A lawn requires ph 6.0. So is not compatible with blueberries requirements.
It would be interesting to see the result of lowering the ph of grass.
Suspect would not do it any good.
PDM