Old 21-11-2008, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Rare Fruit Varieties

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
I'm trying to get hold of some rare old fruit tree varieties of apples,
plums & cherries for a new community orchard in a new Park. We are trying
to get varieties that came from this area and they will have to be on
robust rootstock. Unfortunately whilst Brogdale do have the apple
varieties they don't have the plums and I wondered if any of you know
another collection that may have the old obscure varieties I want.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

good luck.

In winter I collected some scion wood off some old apple varieties from a
local old back yard orchard. I grafted (first time attempts) on to 8 semi
dwarf apple trees. I gave the trees away at a recent permaculture society
open garden day. Bugger me, the grafts seem to be taking and are coming out
in bud I have been told. Its either quite easy or I got lucky. One of the
apple varieties is Splendour that was created in 1952. No longer grown
commercially, the skin is too thin and bruises easily, but is a superb
eating apple. Worth saving.

rob