Old 21-11-2008, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rare Fruit Varieties

I'm trying to get hold of some rare old fruit tree varieties of apples,
plums & cherries for a new community orchard in a new Park. We are trying to
get varieties that came from this area and they will have to be on robust
rootstock. Unfortunately whilst Brogdale do have the apple varieties they
don't have the plums and I wondered if any of you know another collection
that may have the old obscure varieties I want.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-11-2008, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In ,
Bob Hobden typed:
I'm trying to get hold of some rare old fruit tree varieties of
apples, plums & cherries for a new community orchard in a new Park.
We are trying to get varieties that came from this area and they will
have to be on robust rootstock. Unfortunately whilst Brogdale do have
the apple varieties they don't have the plums and I wondered if any
of you know another collection that may have the old obscure
varieties I want.

HDRA might have a few possibilities?

--
Chris.
Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Old 21-11-2008, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bob Hobden writes
I'm trying to get hold of some rare old fruit tree varieties of apples,
plums & cherries for a new community orchard in a new Park. We are trying to
get varieties that came from this area and they will have to be on robust
rootstock. Unfortunately whilst Brogdale do have the apple varieties they
don't have the plums and I wondered if any of you know another collection
that may have the old obscure varieties I want.

Have you tried Scotts of Merriott? Their 1992 catalogue had nearly 50
plum varieties (not to mention damsons, gages, myrobalan etc), so unless
they've gone downhill they might be able to help

Which apples are you growing?
--
Kay
Old 21-11-2008, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
I'm trying to get hold of some rare old fruit tree varieties of apples,
plums & cherries for a new community orchard in a new Park. We are trying
to get varieties that came from this area and they will have to be on
robust rootstock. Unfortunately whilst Brogdale do have the apple
varieties they don't have the plums and I wondered if any of you know
another collection that may have the old obscure varieties I want.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

good luck.

In winter I collected some scion wood off some old apple varieties from a
local old back yard orchard. I grafted (first time attempts) on to 8 semi
dwarf apple trees. I gave the trees away at a recent permaculture society
open garden day. Bugger me, the grafts seem to be taking and are coming out
in bud I have been told. Its either quite easy or I got lucky. One of the
apple varieties is Splendour that was created in 1952. No longer grown
commercially, the skin is too thin and bruises easily, but is a superb
eating apple. Worth saving.

rob

Old 21-11-2008, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 21 Nov, 08:38, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
I'm trying to get hold of some rare old fruit tree varieties of apples,
plums & cherries for a new community orchard in a new Park. We are trying to
get varieties that came from this area and they will have to be on robust
rootstock. Unfortunately whilst Brogdale do have the apple varieties they
don't have the plums and I wondered if any of you know another collection
that may have the old obscure varieties I want.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Keepers' plum list is shorter than their apple list but they have a
few old - some very old varieties. How local do you want?
Hertfordshire, Beds, Berks? Nothing very close to you.
When I was buying apples Deacons had a big list. I didn't look at
plums but I'd expect a decent list.
What about propagating yourselves? If any of the locals have old trees
accurately named and reasonably healthy (some of the big private
gardens might be worth trying for budwood). Make teaching/learning
chip budding and grafting part of the project?
http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/stockresults.aspx

Old 21-11-2008, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 21, 6:37 pm, Rod wrote:
[...]

Many years ago when my first child was a baby, I propagated an apple
tree on rootstock, I don't remember which one but I had delicious, if
small, apples.

Judith
Old 21-11-2008, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote
I'm trying to get hold of some rare old fruit tree varieties of apples,
plums & cherries for a new community orchard in a new Park. We are trying
to get varieties that came from this area and they will have to be on
robust rootstock. Unfortunately whilst Brogdale do have the apple
varieties they don't have the plums and I wondered if any of you know
another collection that may have the old obscure varieties I want.

Thanks to you all. Plenty to look at there and when we finally decide on
varieties we can also ask these nurseries as they often have old stuff not
in their catalogues and could propagate it for us.
We are still at the planning stage so nothing is planted yet and I'm still
researching varieties "born" near here. We are about on the border join of
Surrey, Middlesex and Bucks.
Pears, I can only find "Onward".
Cherries, there is a Windsor and an number with Merton in the title.
Plums, I have found quite a few.
Apples, I haven't got round to yet, will need some hours in the library at
Wisley I suspect.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-11-2008, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 21 Nov, 23:38, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Bob Hobden" *wrote

[...]

Just a thought about rootstocks - it's the size of the trees. If Joe
Public's going to be involved, what about getting up big trees for
picking, pruning etc? There's all manner of jobsworthery looking to
trip you up on that.
Old 22-11-2008, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rod" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote

[...]

Brogdale and others have recommended M111 or M25 rootstock for Park trees
so we are talking of trees 20 to 30ft high eventually if the vandals don't
do for them first. I know pruning will be difficult and spraying almost
impossible so I think they will just have to take their chance once fully
grown but I'm not sure the others involved understand the implications.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-11-2008, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

Apples, I haven't got round to yet, will need some hours in the library at
Wisley I suspect.

Bernwode has a very impressive list of apple trees both geographically
and historically important ones in its catalogue.

It's a very off-the-road nursery near Waddesdon. You have to drive
across a field.

http://www.bernwodeplants.co.uk/
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 23-11-2008, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote
I'm trying to get hold of some rare old fruit tree varieties of apples,
plums & cherries for a new community orchard in a new Park. We are trying
to get varieties that came from this area and they will have to be on
robust rootstock. Unfortunately whilst Brogdale do have the apple
varieties they don't have the plums and I wondered if any of you know
another collection that may have the old obscure varieties I want.

Found some interesting information on fruit varieties listed per County
on...
http://www.england-in-particular.info/orchards/
you then go to o-(the county you want)-f.html.
Hope that is clear. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-11-2008, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 22 Nov, 22:43, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

Brogdale and others have recommended M111 or M25 *rootstock for Park trees
so we are talking of trees 20 to 30ft high eventually if the vandals don't
do for them first. I know pruning will be difficult and spraying almost
impossible so I think they will just have to take their chance once fully
grown but I'm not sure the others involved understand the implications.

-

Do you think the local yoof would be amenable to involvement in the
planting & care? Could just help with the vandalism angle.
Old 23-11-2008, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rod" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Brogdale and others have recommended M111 or M25 rootstock for Park trees
so we are talking of trees 20 to 30ft high eventually if the vandals don't
do for them first. I know pruning will be difficult and spraying almost
impossible so I think they will just have to take their chance once fully
grown but I'm not sure the others involved understand the implications.

-

Do you think the local yoof would be amenable to involvement in the
planting & care? Could just help with the vandalism angle.

We can but try, yet again, to get the local youf involved.
One of the workers building the park had 3 young chaps tell him about some
vandalism, so it's by no means all the youf that causes trouble, it just
seems like it when you try to improve the local environment.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden