Old 22-11-2008, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
SYMPLASTLESS222 SYMPLASTLESS222 is offline

Default Select trees that fit the scale of your landscape

" wrote in message
Just as cute little puppies grow into big dogs, small trees can grow
until they overpower both your garden and your home, as I explain to
this reader…

QUESTION: “I have a 10' x 12' section of lattice work that I want
covered with climbers. It is in a shaded part of the yard. What would
you recommend that would be a fast grower?

“I also want to get a fast growing tree for my front yard. Any help
will be appreciated.” – Brian

ANSWER: I can suggest several climbing plants that you should look
into. You might consider five leaf akebia, variegated porcelain vine,
and Boston ivy for your lattice panels. You can find pictures,
descriptions and growing tips for them with an online search or a
visit to the library.

When it comes to fast-growing trees, take a look at birch, poplar,
green ash, and sycamore. An important consideration is size. Be sure
to find out what the mature height and spread will be before you plant
any tree. If you select a tree that will be much too large for your
yard, it will not only be out of scale for your landscape, it has the
potential to interfere with overhead power lines, drop heavy limbs
onto your roof in a storm or even damage your home’s foundation with
its root system.

You can prune a tree when it is young to control height if done correctly.
Stay away from utility lines. Keep trees at least 10' from house.

Also

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
and
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
Watch out for so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology.
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, tornado’s, volcanic eruptions and other
abiotic forces keep reminding humans that they are not the boss.