Old 21-11-2008, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Select trees that fit the scale of your landscape

Just as cute little puppies grow into big dogs, small trees can grow
until they overpower both your garden and your home, as I explain to
this reader…

QUESTION: “I have a 10' x 12' section of lattice work that I want
covered with climbers. It is in a shaded part of the yard. What would
you recommend that would be a fast grower?

“I also want to get a fast growing tree for my front yard. Any help
will be appreciated.” – Brian

ANSWER: I can suggest several climbing plants that you should look
into. You might consider five leaf akebia, variegated porcelain vine,
and Boston ivy for your lattice panels. You can find pictures,
descriptions and growing tips for them with an online search or a
visit to the library.

When it comes to fast-growing trees, take a look at birch, poplar,
green ash, and sycamore. An important consideration is size. Be sure
to find out what the mature height and spread will be before you plant
any tree. If you select a tree that will be much too large for your
yard, it will not only be out of scale for your landscape, it has the
potential to interfere with overhead power lines, drop heavy limbs
onto your roof in a storm or even damage your home’s foundation with
its root system.

QUESTION: “My parents have a garden that is overfilled with
columbines, a breed named ‘Aquilegia Vulgaris – Clementine Dark
Purple’. We have tried two seasons in a row now to rid the garden of
these, as my parents aren’t gardeners and these are multiplying by the
dozens all over their property. I’ve tried to dig them up in early
spring before they flower but each year I must have missed one of two,
hence they grow and multiply….. Please help!” - Shannon Genier

ANSWER: You have my sympathy as I am trying to get rid of Wisteria
which is one of the tough ones. I’m a little puzzled as the columbine
variety you mention is supposed to be non-invasive. In any case, I am
using a product called Vine-X.

The active ingredient in Vine-X is in a special vegetable oil
formulation that actually penetrates the waterproof bark of invasive
vines and brush plants. Once applied to the stem, Vine-X moves through
the plant's internal capillary system to the root, where the active
ingredient works to disrupt the plant's growth activity.

This may work for you but will have to be done on different sprouts
throughout next summer.

QUESTION: “I have an odd entrance area at my condo that was
constructed in the early 1970s. I’ve tried several types of container
plants in an effort to add some green to the space in the spring and
summer, but everything seems to fail. I’ve resorted to artificial
boxwood topiaries and hanging baskets with ferns (I set them out for
some sun periodically and they last for the summer).

“I was thinking about building window boxes that are about 24” deep so
there’s plenty of soil, rigging up grow lights on a timer, and
planting ‘Bamboo Green Screen’ in the boxes. I’m questioning if a high
wattage grow light will do the trick for this variety of bamboo that
says it requires “Full Sun”; would that be successful or would you
suggest something else? I’d like to stick to something evergreen and
non-flowering.” – Brian Cunningham

ANSWER: I hate to be discouraging, but I have to tell you that it is
difficult to take plants that are normally grown outdoors and keep
them permanently in such an enclosed area without being subjected to
any of the elements. Those types of plants do need at least some
rainfall, wind and filtered light in addition to regular watering and
fertilizing. There are bamboo varieties that will grow in shaded
areas, such as the fargesia panda. Also, hostas, Solomon’s seal,
clematis, ferns and astilbes could grow there as well.

But when taking plants out of their normal environments, it can be
trial and error to find those that will do okay. Be prepared to
experiment until you find those that work best!

The Plant Man is here to help. Send your questions about trees, shrubs
and landscaping to and for resources and
additional information, or to subscribe to Steve’s free e-mailed
newsletter, visit
www.landsteward.org

Old 22-11-2008, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

" wrote in message
[...]

You can prune a tree when it is young to control height if done correctly.
Stay away from utility lines. Keep trees at least 10' from house.

Also

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
and
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
Watch out for so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology.
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, tornado’s, volcanic eruptions and other
abiotic forces keep reminding humans that they are not the boss.