Old 22-11-2008, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Rare Fruit Varieties

"Rod" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote

I'm trying to get hold of some rare old fruit tree varieties of apples,
plums & cherries for a new community orchard in a new Park. We are
trying
to get varieties that came from this area and they will have to be on
robust rootstock. Unfortunately whilst Brogdale do have the apple
varieties they don't have the plums and I wondered if any of you know
another collection that may have the old obscure varieties I want.

Thanks to you all. Plenty to look at there and when we finally decide on
varieties we can also ask these nurseries as they often have old stuff not
in their catalogues and could propagate it for us.
We are still at the planning stage so nothing is planted yet and I'm still
researching varieties "born" near here. We are about on the border join of
Surrey, Middlesex and Bucks.
Pears, I can only find "Onward".
Cherries, there is a Windsor and an number with Merton in the title.
Plums, I have found quite a few.
Apples, I haven't got round to yet, will need some hours in the library at
Wisley I suspect.

Just a thought about rootstocks - it's the size of the trees. If Joe
Public's going to be involved, what about getting up big trees for
picking, pruning etc? There's all manner of jobsworthery looking to
trip you up on that.

Brogdale and others have recommended M111 or M25 rootstock for Park trees
so we are talking of trees 20 to 30ft high eventually if the vandals don't
do for them first. I know pruning will be difficult and spraying almost
impossible so I think they will just have to take their chance once fully
grown but I'm not sure the others involved understand the implications.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden