Old 23-11-2008, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PB PB is offline

Default Can sugar beet be eaten?

In article ,
says...
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

Yes, but not worth the effort - tastes like sweet mud.

I didn't complain when I was a kid and there wasn't much else!

During the winter I do a bit of beating for several local shoots,
beaters are notorious for collecting anything edible. It is not at all
unusual to see beaters with carrier bags full of carrots, onions,
calabrese, turnips, parsnips, sweetcorn or potatoes, in fact if it is
eatable or sellable it will be picked. I have never seen anyone picking
sugarbeet.