Old 23-11-2008, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge Rusty_Hinge is offline

Default Can sugar beet be eaten?

The message
from pb contains these words:
In article ,
says...
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

Yes, but not worth the effort - tastes like sweet mud.

I didn't complain when I was a kid and there wasn't much else!

During the winter I do a bit of beating for several local shoots,
beaters are notorious for collecting anything edible.

Ho yus! Aren't we, just? You'll find three sorts of discarded corn cobs
around the cover crops - nibbled by rats, scoffed by deer, and chomped
by the beatership.

I carry home lots of fungi - blue-legs, wood blewits, clouded agarics,
deceivers, wax caps, shaggy ink caps, various boleti, beefsteak fungus,
(rarely, unfortunately) blushers, various russulas, the occasional
funnel cap, puffballs, orange peel fungus, common white helvella, and
various of Lactarius (including L. torminosus, which must be boiled for
ten minutes and the water discarded, otherwise...)

It is not at all
unusual to see beaters with carrier bags full of carrots, onions,
calabrese, turnips, parsnips, sweetcorn or potatoes, in fact if it is
eatable or sellable it will be picked. I have never seen anyone picking
sugarbeet.

Nobut, when the current crop of snow is harvested I'm off to a sugar
beet field to harvest a vast beetroot I've noticed.

I would have had one from another field, but woojer believe - one of the
other beater's dogs cocked a leg on it? Out of a whole damned 40 acre
field, it chooses the only beetroot.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig