Old 23-11-2008, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge Rusty_Hinge is offline

Default Can sugar beet be eaten?

The message
from Saxman contains these words:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

Shouldn't I be? - I've been doing it (in an ever-broadening spectrum)
since around 1951.

I do recognise some of the species you mention, but some of the russulas
can be dodgy as there are so many varieties.

OK - name me one really dangerous Russula...

Even R. emetica will only make you puke. I leave the pink and red
Russulae strictly alone.

Oh, I forgot to mention Pluteus - especially P cervinus. And oyster
mushrooms. And Jew's ear. And did I mention 34 of the 36 species of
Agaricus? Parasol mushrooms, plums and custard, oh, I'm sure I've missed
a lot - and these are only the ones I find while out beating.

Sometimes.

I would like to flawlessly recognise a lot of species, but finding a
mycologist to help and give up their time with recognition is the hard bit.

Even experienced mycologists often have to examine the spores under a
microscope to be *SURE*.

It took me around twenty years of finding blushers before I was so sure
of what I'd found that I ate it without qualms. I've never looked back -
blushers were to die for - but get it wrong and pick a panther cap, and
it might be to die of.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig