Old 26-11-2008, 05:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
EXT EXT is offline

Default Community Garden

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message
Red wrote:

On Nov 23, 2:03 pm, "Paul E. Lehmann"
wrote:
I am considering suggesting a community garden to the city fathers here
in small town Central Maryland. I would like to know where this has been
done and or any suggestions as to how to go about it. I think the city
has some land that is not dedicated for any use. I think it would be a
great learning experience, especially if a master gardener could get
involved and offer classes and training. With the economy the way it is,
more people are going to have to learn on how to do some basic food
growing themselves. It would also provide something for kids to do
during
the summer when school is not in session - besides sitting on their
posterior and playing video games.

An excellent idea, but if you get it started call it something other
than a "community garden". I'm speaking from experience - too many
people interpret "community garden" as a "help yourself to the
veggies" garden. Our community has one and all produce harvested goes
to the local area food bank. That way the distribution is controlled
in a fair way. The city provided the garden plot, the master
gardeners oversee it, and the kids get to work in it.
Red

Good Idea. Thanks for the advice.

Also, if it has public access, you may have a problem with vandalism, as
some people think they can help themselves, walk and/or run over other
people's growing plants or smash the growing vegetables. You may need
fencing or some security arrangements.