Old 29-11-2008, 09:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default Plants that eat bugs

Here in the north Florida tundra, winter's icy breath has forced me to
do much of my gardening inside. We are struggling today with frigid
temperatures that so far have only managed to make it into the (mid)
seventies, but we'll try to get by.

Anyway, I've got about six big grow lamps and a bunch of plants, and,
as you might have guessed, a bunch of tiny bugs, mostly gnats from the
potting soil I think, others are the bugs tiny enough to get through a
window screen. I don't really have a personal problem with bugs, and
they generally leave me alone. I have a few spiders that live in the
house, some that build webs and more than a few "jumping" spiders that
patrol around in the plants. I rarely use any kind of pesticide or
bug spray, so critters don't have to worry about where they tread,
there aren't any residual "gotcha"s. But I digress... I was watching
the cluster of bugs that is attracted to the grow lamps at night and
wondered what to do about them. So I ordered this "carnivorous plant
sampler" online. It came without the ubiquitous Venus fly trap, but
had a pitcher plant, a sundew, and a butterwort. The sundew and
butterwort aren't huge plants by any means, 3-4 inches across at most,
but the butterwort has these beautiful lavender/yellow flowers and the
sundew has smaller blue ball shaped blooms and won't quit blooming!
It's been a month now, and virtually all the gnats and flies and
things have disappeared from the grow lights. You can see where they
went, the sundews and butterworts have little sticky leaves and
tendrils, that's how they "catch" bugs, and you can see little
blotches on them that once were bugs. The pitcher plants use a
different method , but they no doubt shared in the feast also. I did
a little reading and found that pitcher plants can be found in wild as
far north as Canada. I can remember finding a wild sundew in Glacier
National Park. It seems that sundews and pitcher plants can handle
cold (really cold) weather rather well.

Being as how these are mostly bog-type plants, and that many of us
have ponds that attract (among other things) bugs, don't these plants
seem like naturals? Has anyone tried a bunch of these planted around
their pond? They don't seem to need much care other than to keep them
wet, which doesn't seem all that hard in a pond setting. Am I missing
a real big drawback to them?