Old 30-11-2008, 07:40 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Sacred Bamboo - FarmI

"jones" wrote in message

The magazine was a gardening one I picked up at Mitre 10. Not a glossy
expensive one, but a free one "Australian Garden Guide" It says not
invasive as this variety is not really a bamboo like those awful ones.

There are in fact quite a few bamboos which are called clumping bamboos and
which are not considered to be invasive, but I still wouldn't plant them
either. Sacred bamboo is similar to the clumping bamboos. It doesn't put
out the sort of persistent and hugely invasive but runners of a bamboo but
it certainly clumps very well.

The dwarf Sacred bamboo is very mild and I wouldn't even say that it has a
clumping habit but that wouldn't be tall enough to cover a fence. The stuff
that is big enough to hide a fence is definitely a clumper and I'd put it
into the invasive category. Plant it if you have a big garden and don't
ever intend to remove it but be aware that is can certainly be invasive.