Old 01-12-2008, 02:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
DavidM[_2_] DavidM[_2_] is offline

Default Plants that eat bugs

Chip wrote:
DavidM wrote:
Galen Hekhuis wrote:
Being as how these are mostly bog-type plants, and that many of us
have ponds that attract (among other things) bugs, don't these plants
seem like naturals? Has anyone tried a bunch of these planted around
their pond? They don't seem to need much care other than to keep them
wet, which doesn't seem all that hard in a pond setting. Am I missing
a real big drawback to them?

Ponds are not very boggy though. Those kind of plants evolved to grow
in a very niche environment. Bogs are typically acidic and contain
extremely low levels of dissolved nutrients and minerals, hence the
requirement to catch insects for their mineral content. Ponds tend to
be alkaline and packed full of the nutrients and fertilisers that will
kill a bog plant pretty quickly. The water in my part of the UK is
also very hard, so that would kill the plants as well.

It's a shame because as you say, they would be excellently suited
otherwise. Perhaps create a small bog garden next to the pond. I used
a half barrel and pond liner to make mine, they are great fun in the
summer.
Regards
David

Perhaps it is again time to question the list on the difference between
a veggie filter and a bog.

So, to clarify;

*Veggie filter*
- High levels of dissolved nutrient and mineral (excrement from pond
organisms and decomposing plants).
- Alkaline pH due to dissolved nutrient or pond keeper intervention.
- No or little soil (dirt) to encourage root growth and removal of
nutrients from water.
- Constant flow of pond water through or between plants.
- Probably topped up with tap water (water hardness not a major factor)

*Bog garden*
- Very low (approaching zero) nutrient and mineral concentrations. In
nature the plants do not decompose, they just die and become part of the
anaerobic peat bed.
- Acidic pH due to peat composition and anaerobic conditions.
- Dead peat(sphagnum moss) based environment with live moss on the surface.
- NO soil (must not contain nutrient rich decomposed organic matter).
- Very low water flow rate. Mostly still and saturated, or close to
water table in nature.
- Must only use rain water or water with no dissolved minerals and
carbonates.

Since both are heavily planted, can't one use either or both?
Can a bog serve as a veggie filter?

No, for the reasons above. Most importantly, the pH will be put out.
Either the bog will drive it down to acidic levels and cause the fish to
die, or the pond will drive it up and cause the bog plants to die.

How is dirt used in either?

Dirt (soil) is a mixture of decomposed organic matter with different
amounts of sand or stone depending on the environment. Bogs contain no
soil, only dead anaerobic sphagnum moss (sold as peat in garden centers)
covered in a layer of live sphagnum moss.

I don't use any soil in my veggie filter, just bare rooted plants.

Can they use the same plants?

Absolutely not, bog plants will die in a veggie filter and visa versa.

Is the difference merely water depth?

No. My veggie filter is a 6" deep trough with constantly flowing water.
The plants (water cress, mint and iris) just float in there. My bog
garden is 18" deep and full of peat (dead sphagnum moss) and sand. It is
saturated with rain water to about 2" below the surface.