Old 03-12-2008, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Aiwendil Aiwendil is offline

Default How to plant edible chestnuts and walnuts seeds?

On 2008-12-02, terry wrote:
Would welcome any advice and/or comments regarding edible chestnuts
and walnut seed planting.
First time posting to this news group; hope this is welcome?

Regarding chestnuts I've found
http://chestnut.cas.psu.edu/Procedur...g/planting.htm to be very
useful, in particular "Growing American Chestnuts" (pdf linked to at
that site).

The adaption of that method I prefer is moist (not wet) pottingsoil in a
plastic bag (with the chestnuts in the soil), placed in fridge for about four
weeks (about 8c (46f), the compartment for fruit is perfect), let them sit out
in roomtemp (20c (68f)) for about two weeks and plant them as they
sprout. Check up on them at least once a week always (fridge or
roomtemp). Do repeat the cold/warm cycle as needed.

First time for me posting to usenet (bear with me)

--
/Aiwendil - Hobbygardener that gave up the kitchen to plants