Old 02-12-2008, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How to plant edible chestnuts and walnuts seeds?

During last 37+ years had some considerable success growing trees not
normally native to this province.
On an area a little larger than a half acre including my daughter's
and our house we have 67 to 70 trees. These include several oaks
(grown from acorns and now producing their own), several horse
chestnuts (no seeds/nuts on those yet yet, but they are poorly
located) and whole rows of beech. Beech, grown from seeds picked up
around old colonial buildings, seem to withstand icing conditions here
better than most other species, even local birch.
Also many maples which seed copiously and from which we give way the
seedlings that spring up naturally even among the fallen leaves and
grass. Local birch transplanted very small from the wild has also
grown well.
Many of our trees are 30+ feet high, amazing how well they have all
grown in our rather shallow soil, short summer season without any
special fertilizing etc.
Experimented some 12 years ago with some edible chestnuts found
sprouting in a s.market. But lost them during a stressful period and
death in the family.
Experimenting again with some non sprouted edible chestnuts by placing
them, dampened, in the fridge.
Also found non sprouted walnuts at s.market. Thinking of trying some
of them in various ways; plant some outside for the winter, store some
in the fridge and some in the freezer; then plant next year?
Am located in eastern Newfoundland near the Atlantic. Zone 9a? While
it is a long damp cold, snowy and windy winter we do not get the
extremely low temperatures of central Canada or even of the inland
areas of this island or of Newfoundland Labrador.
Would welcome any advice and/or comments regarding edible chestnuts
and walnut seed planting.
First time posting to this news group; hope this is welcome?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2008-12-02, terry wrote:
Would welcome any advice and/or comments regarding edible chestnuts
and walnut seed planting.
First time posting to this news group; hope this is welcome?

Regarding chestnuts I've found
http://chestnut.cas.psu.edu/Procedur...g/planting.htm to be very
useful, in particular "Growing American Chestnuts" (pdf linked to at
that site).

The adaption of that method I prefer is moist (not wet) pottingsoil in a
plastic bag (with the chestnuts in the soil), placed in fridge for about four
weeks (about 8c (46f), the compartment for fruit is perfect), let them sit out
in roomtemp (20c (68f)) for about two weeks and plant them as they
sprout. Check up on them at least once a week always (fridge or
roomtemp). Do repeat the cold/warm cycle as needed.

First time for me posting to usenet (bear with me)

--
/Aiwendil - Hobbygardener that gave up the kitchen to plants
Old 03-12-2008, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Aiwendil wrote:

First time for me posting to usenet (bear with me)

You post well. Welcome ! Much better than Billy or Bill )

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 27-12-2008, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 3, 7:11*pm, Bill wrote:
In article ,

*Aiwendil wrote:
First time for me posting to usenet (bear with me)

*You post well. *Welcome ! *Much better than Billy or Bill )

*Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Many thanks Aiwendal for the useful link.

Was not able to import nuts or seedlings form the US into Canada!

Only recently found chestnuts for sale in local supermarkets; have no
ide of their age and/or condition but have some in fridge now.

Recall that many years ago I had found some in the s.market that had
started to sprout so had 'started' those. howerver we lost them during
the prolonged illness and death of my late wife in 1997. So have been
looking since for some to sprout and replace them.

Hope to be successful here in eastern Newfoundland, Canada. However
previuos success with trees hasn't left much space!

Greetings of this time of year.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

First time posting for me, too! My question: I bought some Italian
Chestnuts in the grocery store, and found that one of them has
sprouted! I'd like to plant it, but I'm not sure which end should be
up. The sprout is coming out of the pointy end. Is this the stem? I
assumed that it was a root, but does the root come out of the flat
end? Thank you. Happy New Year.