Old 04-12-2008, 12:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Chip[_2_] Chip[_2_] is offline

Default Redesigning the Pond

Dude wrote:

I have looked at so many bottom drain designs and and thoroughly
confused now. I seen one where the bottom drain was piped back to the
skimmer. Is that a good idea and with the pump in the skimmer and the
drain connected to it will that meathod be good for completely
draining the pond? Example-- http://pondsolutions.com/images/bottom-drain-kit.jpg

Just as a point of info- my pool bottom drain is plumbed to
the bottom of my skimmer well, that water then flows to
another pipe at the bottom of my skimmer to my filter/pump.
Works quite well normally, but has no flexibility and is
not useful in draining the pool. My pump can't draw enough
water from the bottom drain to keep the skimmer well filled
when the water line is below the skimmer edge. Just lots of
air.

I would suggest 2 lines, each with a variable cut-off to
your pump- one from the bottom drain, one from the skimmer.
That way you have max flexibility to handle any situation.

Chip