Old 07-12-2008, 06:10 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Mulberry flowering and fruiting

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:

I thought silkworms preferred a different type of mulberry.

They are supposed to prefer the white mulberry, but mine have eaten black
mulberry quite happily. They are also supposed to be able to eat oak leaves
but I don't know anyone who has managed to get their silkworm to eat oak.

As kids we fed ours on leaves from the black mulberry. Silkworms also
can be fed on lettuce leaves (for white silk), and beetroot leaves (for
pink silk). We did try the lettuce; but I can't remember whether we
tried for pink silk.