Old 07-12-2008, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider Spider is offline

Default Fatsia not doing well indoors

"Tom" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a Fatsia which I kept indoors for most of last winter (I bought it
during winter) and it did well.

I kept it outside in the summer and it grew brilliantly but I've brought
it in as it's in a pot and there is no shelter in my outside space - it's
completely exposed to wind and frost.

Problem is, it's definitely suffering indoors. It looks as dry as hell and
big holes are forming on the leaves. I can't find any insects on it
causing this, but is there anything I can do?

It does get very harsh on my terrace so I'm reluctant to put it outside.

Thanks for any help,

Tom.

It's a pity you brought it in, Tom. They're bone hardy and would probably
cope. However, although they can deal with a lot of cold, their leaves can
take a beating in the wind.

If it were mine (but starting as you have it now), I would gradually harden
it off. Then, I would dig a hole in the border soil somewhere and 'plunge'
it, pot and all, in the ground. This would help to keep the frost off the
roots and would make it more stable. Then I would use some strong canes and
some windbreak fabric (I use the slotted black plastic sheeting. Don't know
what it's called) to build a frame all around it, to keep the wind off.
That should be quite enough to get it through the winter.

I don't know what the big holes are, but unless you can see something
relentlessly nibbling, I wouldn't worry too much. If the leaves deteriorate
and you're worried, you could always take the leaves off. The plant will
replace them in the spring.

Hope it's not too late, and you can save it.
Spider