Old 07-12-2008, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Default Fatsia not doing well indoors

Hi,

I have a Fatsia which I kept indoors for most of last winter (I bought
it during winter) and it did well.

I kept it outside in the summer and it grew brilliantly but I've brought
it in as it's in a pot and there is no shelter in my outside space -
it's completely exposed to wind and frost.

Problem is, it's definitely suffering indoors. It looks as dry as hell
and big holes are forming on the leaves. I can't find any insects on it
causing this, but is there anything I can do?

It does get very harsh on my terrace so I'm reluctant to put it outside.

Thanks for any help,

Tom.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tom" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a Fatsia which I kept indoors for most of last winter (I bought it
during winter) and it did well.

I kept it outside in the summer and it grew brilliantly but I've brought
it in as it's in a pot and there is no shelter in my outside space - it's
completely exposed to wind and frost.

Problem is, it's definitely suffering indoors. It looks as dry as hell and
big holes are forming on the leaves. I can't find any insects on it
causing this, but is there anything I can do?

It does get very harsh on my terrace so I'm reluctant to put it outside.

Thanks for any help,

Tom.

It's a pity you brought it in, Tom. They're bone hardy and would probably
cope. However, although they can deal with a lot of cold, their leaves can
take a beating in the wind.

If it were mine (but starting as you have it now), I would gradually harden
it off. Then, I would dig a hole in the border soil somewhere and 'plunge'
it, pot and all, in the ground. This would help to keep the frost off the
roots and would make it more stable. Then I would use some strong canes and
some windbreak fabric (I use the slotted black plastic sheeting. Don't know
what it's called) to build a frame all around it, to keep the wind off.
That should be quite enough to get it through the winter.

I don't know what the big holes are, but unless you can see something
relentlessly nibbling, I wouldn't worry too much. If the leaves deteriorate
and you're worried, you could always take the leaves off. The plant will
replace them in the spring.

Hope it's not too late, and you can save it.
Spider

Old 07-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Hi,

I have a Fatsia which I kept indoors for most of last winter (I bought
it during winter) and it did well.

I kept it outside in the summer and it grew brilliantly but I've brought
it in as it's in a pot and there is no shelter in my outside space -
it's completely exposed to wind and frost.

Problem is, it's definitely suffering indoors. It looks as dry as hell
and big holes are forming on the leaves. I can't find any insects on it
causing this, but is there anything I can do?

It does get very harsh on my terrace so I'm reluctant to put it outside.

Thanks for any help,

Tom.
Fatsias are outdoor plants. I had one in W Yorks in an exposed, north-facing garden which grew like mad for many years. I think it needs to be in the ground, not a pot - they have pretty extensive root systems
Old 08-12-2008, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

It's a pity you brought it in, Tom. They're bone hardy and would probably
cope. However, although they can deal with a lot of cold, their leaves can
take a beating in the wind.

I can put it back out, would either of you recommend that?

I don't have any soil though, I just have an exposed roof terrace so
everything is in pots.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

It's a pity you brought it in, Tom. They're bone hardy and would probably
cope. However, although they can deal with a lot of cold, their leaves can
take a beating in the wind.

I can put it back out, would either of you recommend that?

I don't have any soil though, I just have an exposed roof terrace so
everything is in pots.
If you Google "Fatsia", there is a useful article from the Telegraph by Helen Yemm.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tom" wrote in message
et...

It's a pity you brought it in, Tom. They're bone hardy and would
probably cope. However, although they can deal with a lot of cold, their
leaves can take a beating in the wind.

I can put it back out, would either of you recommend that?

I don't have any soil though, I just have an exposed roof terrace so
everything is in pots.

I would most certainly put it outside, but not until I'd hardened it off.
If you're not familiar with this jargon, it simply means gradually exposing
the plant to the outdoors again (during the day and bringing it in at night)
so that it becomes used to the cold weather again and can cope with that
level of exposure. Because you've got no soil on the roof, I suggest you
raise it slightly off the ground then surround the pot with other pots or
old carpet (or similar), plus the wind break. It should certainly survive
that. It doesn't normally need pampering; you're having to take special
care now because you've accustomed it to indoor temperatures.

Spider