Old 09-12-2008, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tony Concrete Tony Concrete is offline

Default What evidence is there for this?

On Dec 8, 10:23*pm, wrote:
What evidence is there for this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/365...should-be-cull...

Or is it the National Trust just scaremongering to get rid of plants
it dislikes?

If oaks have the disease should they not be culled?
Angus Macmillanwww.roots-of-blood.org.ukwww.killhunting.orgwww.con-servation.org.uk

All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed;
Second, it is violently opposed; and
Third, it is accepted as self-evident.
-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Rhododendron ponticum is a disaster even with these fungal diseases.
Here is what I replied to one of your threads 2 years ago:

On a global scale, whether we worry about any of those three species

Globally absolutely but locally Rhododendron ponticum is a disaster in
Ireland.
We have bugger all in terms of unique habitat or species. One of the
few
things we have that is spectacular is the Oak woods of SW Ireland.
These
are sopping wet and do not get much frost and are loaded with (locally
restricted) mosses and liverworts and ferns. In terms of species,
very few
(in any?) are endemic but it is a spectacular habitat in beautiful
countryside and is now restricted to a few valleys having once covered
the
entire region. You also get Kerry spottted slugs and St Patricks
Cabbage
and yew and arbutus woodland.
Once rhodos move in you get zilch apart from the rhodos themselves.
It is
sad and it is right to try to control them. Sycamores are not as bad
and
deer are certainly a problem as are sheep (in some areas).
Globally it is a blip but locally it is maybe the most important
habitat in
Ireland.